This refers to the third episode of Agora Core:
I spoke briefly in #1 about characters having backstory and how in Agora Core, the players were allowed to create their own. In part 2, the characters experienced visionary dreams which they could partly manipulate if their minds were alert enough. This was the first time that I tried to interact with their backstory. Based on the information they provided, I could work some information in that either shed light on a past experience or about events that will happen soon. A good example of visions in roleplay is in Titans Grave, and also Critical Role.
It is hard to say how much the players digested of this information because they were in the middle of a mission at the time. The cause of the visions themselves is a longer plot arc that is playing out in the background for now but it provides a way to give the players insight.
- Will Orix go after Vian, the boy who he had helped to expel from magic college?
- Will Ikki be visited by his kind and have to face the Trial of Talons?
- Will Hector face an assassination attempt for having stolen a precious medallion?
- Will Long ever find his leader and prevent a disaster from befalling his clan?
- Will Nomo be tempted to visit the site where he was attacked and burned by an orc and where he witnessed a monk burying an artefact?
- Will Pevel overcome the demons of his childhood and be able to face conflict head on?
This is what the visions were for; to ask questions of the player characters and see if they pay heed to the warning of thing to come or want to pursue an answer for themselves.